Sunday, November 2, 2008

"You got a used dog, Charlie Brown."

For the past couple of mornings, I've woken up with the "No Dogs Allowed" song from the movie "Snoopy Come Home" in my head. I don't know why. Doesn't make much sense. But there I was, humming the tune, as I remembered it, while I got dressed to take Matilda out for a walk. This morning, I looked for the clip on Youtube and found the whole movie broken up into six minute segments. It's been years since I've seen the movie, so I had to watch each of the clips in order to find the song. Turns out I had changed the tune and a few of the lyrics, but I had the gist of it. Here's a clip of Snoopy getting thrown out of the hospital a couple of times.

What a sad movie! In case you don't remember it, Snoopy gets a letter from Lila who is in the hospital and in need of his companionship. During his journey to her, he gets thrown out of a few places with the voice over singing "No Dogs Allowed" in a voice that's got to be lower than the lowest baritone you've ever heard. Linus finds out that Snoopy was previously owned by Lila before Charlie Brown's parents bought him. When Charlie Brown hears the news, he faints. Lila makes the ultimate request and asks Snoopy to stay with her instead of returning home. Snoopy decides to stay with her, but when he arrives at her building, he's met with a sign that says "No Dogs Allowed in the Building", so he happily returns home.

I adopted Matilda almost a year ago.

For the past eleven months, I've been wondering if Matilda thinks of her previous home. Is she happy here with me or do I bore her to tears? How far away was her home? Does she remember the way there? If given the choice, would she return? Hopefully, I'll never know the answers to those questions. Like Charlie Brown, I think I would completely lose it if I ever found out that Matilda had left me for someone else. I love her so much.

But what must her previous owners be feeling? Sigh.


No comments: