Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Introspection


Matilda has changed my life in so many ways. Today was a holiday, so I was able to sleep in for awhile. Matilda and I got up at 8 and were out for our morning constitutional at 8:30, two hours later than normal. If I didn't have her, I would have missed such a beautiful morning. The sky was decorated with big cotton candy clouds that seemed artistically placed on a bright blue canvas. We walked down to the park on the river as we always do these days. And as always, as soon as she saw the park, Matilda tried to take off like a bullet. Thankfully, the new harness I bought for her curbed her gallop to an Olympic speed power walk.


After she fulfilled the purpose of our walk, I decided to take a stroll with her to the top of the small hill in the park. There were two geese in the water closest to us. Just two. That's something we never really see. There's usually a gaggle of them, but this morning, there were only two. I watched those geese as I climbed the hill. And when I got there, I stopped and took in the view. The calmness of the river washed over me. And for the first time in a long time, I prayed. That's not to say that I don't talk to the Lord on a regular basis, because I do. But this morning, I stopped everything and prayed. It was this morning that I realized that I have always wanted to live close enough to the water that I could look at it everyday, but not so close that a storm would wash away my house. I've been living in this house since November, and I just realized that God has blessed me with the very thing I had asked for. So I thanked Him. I thanked Him for the view. I thanked Him for my wonderfully comfortable house. I thanked Him for my job and asked Him for a positive change in my finances. And I thanked him for my four legged partner.

When we returned to the same spot in the afternoon, this time there were five ducks in the water. Two couples, and a third wheel of a mallard. Maybe the female hadn't made a decision between the two males. Or maybe the two males were fighting over her. Regardless, there they were, 5 ducks, swimming out into the river. I stood and took in the view. Dark gray storm clouds replaced the cotton candy from earlier. The calm river was now choppy and rough. And so I asked the Lord, "Is a change about to come?"


No comments: