Saturday, November 8, 2008

A Public Service Announcement

The search for the Presidential Pet has drawn a lot of much needed attention to local animal shelters.

When I decided I wanted a dog, I knew that I didn't have the patience for a puppy. The thought of housebreaking a dog was daunting. I just couldn't see me coming home to pee and poop all over the place. Nope, that wasn't for me. I felt that an older, already housebroken, already vaccinated, already spayed or neutered dog was best for me.

Focused and determined to find the right dog, I found and bookmarked websites for every ASPCA/humane society in Maryland, and along Rt. 29 in Virginia. During my search, I came across Petfinder.com. It's a great site that makes it easy to search over 300,000 animals in over 12,000 adoption groups across the country. Just plug in what kind of animal you're looking for, and your zip code, and all of the available animals in your area are there for you to peruse.

It was on Petfinder.com that I found Matilda. She was at the Animal Resource Foundation (ARF) in Chester, Maryland. I faxed them an application for Matilda on a Monday, and by Friday, she was all mine. The folks there are absolutely wonderful. They called me to follow up on my application and to ask me a few additional questions. A few days later, I got the call telling me I was approved and that Matilda would be mine. When I asked when I could come get her, they said they would be bringing her to me. My response must have told them what I was thinking - "That's odd. Why can't I just come pick her up?". They explained that they deliver each of their animals in order to check out the new owner and the dog's new home. They also want to help adapt the dog to its new surroundings. A family in Richmond, Virginia had expressed an interest in Matilda the week before I did. The folks at ARF took Matilda to Richmond, during a holiday weekend nonetheless, and after observing what her living situation would have been, they brought her back. They didn't like what they saw and weren't willing to leave her there.

These people are angels - volunteers committed to making sure that every rescued animal has a safe and loving home. Most rescue organizations are filled with angels who are looking after lost, abandoned, abused, or neglected animals.

Please support your local animal rescue organization. And if you are looking for a new pet, check out Petfinder.com. Your new best friend is just a click away.

No comments: