Thursday, April 8, 2010

Street Fighter

Mom, Matilda, and I spent Easter with my sister and her dog, Teddy. Teddy is a Yorkie. (In the coming weeks, I will share my Teddy experiences here.) Teddy and Matilda have a history of getting along - for the most part. Matilda is at least four years older than Teddy and doesn't like to play nearly as much as he does. She's content to sit in your lap or right next to you and watch tv or take a nap. Teddy, on the other hand, likes to sniff you in your face, jump from sofa to loveseat and back, chase things, play psuedo-fetch, and hide treats.

Matilda has never shown herself to be highly possessive or territorial. She'll let you know when she doesn't want to be bothered. She's often given Teddy a growl, warning him to back off and leave her alone. Teddy isn't always the quickest in picking up on verbal and non-verbal clues. But on Easter Sunday, there was no warning growl.

Mom made the best Cornish hens I've ever had on Easter Sunday. She glazed them in a plum chipotle sauce she found at TJ Maxx. Absolutely delicious! When I was just about finished eating, I decided to share some with Matilda. I had given her two samples when Teddy came along. He was staring me in the face. I had to share. I gave him a piece and gave Matilda another. When I went to give Teddy a second piece, Matilda jumped on him like he had stolen something. No growl. No warning. No nothing. She just pounced. She was playing dirty and she was quite serious. The fight travelled from the sofa, clear across the room. The barking and growling was intense; much different than the playful banter-like barking they exchange when they greet each other. Matilda meant to punish Teddy and Teddy was fighting to get away. Mom jumped in to try and separate them while Tameka was wailing and holding her hands to her ears. I was screaming "Move!" while Mom was rolling around on the floor. I reached in, grabbed Matilda and returned to the couch. She maintained a guttural growl until Tameka left the room with Teddy. The room fell silent.

Mom ended up with a scratch under the chin. Tameka locked Teddy in her bedroom. While he whined to be let out, she responded "You can't go out there. Matilda will kill you!". I was embarrassed and shaken, but slightly amused. Mom must've been too because she broke through the silence with "That must've been some good chicken!".

Matilda is a street fighter. Don't let the cute face fool you.

No comments: