Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Long Walks

It's been a long time since I've posted about me and Tildy. You haven't missed much. Life for us has been a bit mundane. Walk in the morning. Walk in the evening. Eat dinner. Go to bed.

Last week my Mom came to visit. I was a little nervous about her visit because we had never really spent that much one-on-one time together before and I wasn't sure what we would talk about for a week. I was also concerned about her spoiling Matilda while she was here. It's not as if Matilda isn't already spoiled rotten, but whenever we go home, Mom always gives Matilda more snacks and table food then I would give her. Matilda's gas is lethal and I try to avoid creating that toxic situation whenever possible.

It rained for the first 48 hours Mom was here, but she walked with us, in the rain, each morning and evening. It was nice to have company on those dreary walks. It was nicer still to have an actual person to talk to. I'm sure my neighbors think I must be a little crazy when they see me walking down the street talking and the only living thing near me is my dog.

By Wednesday, the weather broke and it was beautiful outside. That evening, the three of us walked the circumference of the park and the length of the fishing pier - something Matilda nor I had ever done. That woman had us walkin' as if we were tryin' to get to freedom! The fishing pier used to be the bridge between Talbot and Dorchester counties until the Malkus Bridge was built. Each half of the pier is about a half a mile long. Our total walk in the evening ended up being about two miles. And Matilda loved it!

Mom decided that she must've been an outside dog before I had her because she goes absolutely bonkers when it's time to go outside. For most of the day she lays in one spot and sleeps or watches television, but the mere mention of o-u-t-s-i-d-e and she is barking, panting, turning circles, and jumping up and down. I think she would stay outside all day if you let her.

Now that Mom is gone, we aren't walking the pier anymore, but every time we get to the footbridge that leads to the pier, Matilda tries to take me across. Every day I say to her, "no, not today", and she looks so disappointed. I'm sure she misses Mom. I know I enjoyed having her here too.

Maybe today we'll make it across the pier and think about Mom as we watch the sunset.


Post Script: We did. And it was nice.

No comments: