Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Dog Teeth are Worth a Vacation?!

I have had Matilda's teeth cleaned three times in the past 6 years that I've had her.  When I first adopted her, she had the worst doggie breath you've every smelled and her teeth were green.  Two years later, during her cleaning the vet discovered a few problems and had to surgically extract four teeth.  This latest cleaning turned my vacation into a stay-cation.

I had been putting off setting an appointment for this cleaning because I knew it was going to be a huge financial hit, but after noticing her favoring one side of her mouth more than the other when she crunched on a Milk-Bone, I decided I couldn't put it off any longer.  I dropped her off that morning and headed to court.  After leaving court, I noticed that I had missed back-to-back phone calls from the vet.  I knew that meant trouble.  When I returned the call, I learned that Matilda needed SIX teeth removed.  My stomach dropped.  I felt like a horrible dog mom for putting off the cleaning for so long and I felt sick because I had no idea how I would pay for this bill.  The vet was still talking, explaining what she saw and what she did, but all I heard was "Blah, blah, blah, guilt.  Blah, blah, blah, bad mom.  Blah, blah, blah, way more than you can afford.".  Thankfully, she summarized her actual words in a document for me.
"Matilda had moderate tartar and periodontal disease.  There were multiple loose teeth which were elevated and the gum sutured closed.  Tooth 207 had a cavity and distal root resorption and was surgically extracted." 

This cleaning/extraction didn't cost as much as the last time, but it definitely cost me my vacation that was scheduled for the following week.


No comments: